Upcoming Events
  • Academic Signing Day moved to Friday, May 24
The Student News Site of La Mirada High School

El Toro

El Toro

El Toro

Crepes & Grapes

2020 Alum Jared Jones Makes Starting Rotation for the Pittsburgh Pirates

Jones was drafted in the second round in 2020 from La Mirada High School

Jared Jones graduated from La Mirada High School in 2020 and was drafted in the second round for Major League Baseball less than two weeks after the online high school graduation, due to the shutdown from covid. Jones, attended La Mirada and played on the Varsity baseball team all four years. He was selected as the Los Angeles Times Player of the Year in 2018 and 2019, as well as the Whittier Daily News Player of the Year in both years, much in part to his .468 batting average, three home runs as well as a 0.77 ERA, going 7-1 in his junior year and would even hit 99-mph when pitching.

In 2020, there was no minor league baseball, in 2021, Jones played for the Bradenton Marauders, the Greensboro Grasshoppers in 2022, the AA Altoona Curve and moved up to the AAA Indianapolis Indians and finished 2023 with a 3.85 ERA.

Fast forward to 2024, Jones was a non-roster invitee to spring training with the Pirates, where Jones did not give up a run. On Monday, March 25, it was announced that he would be in the starting rotation as a part of the 40-man roster. Jones is the second baseball player in school history to play in the Major League. The first was Daniel Ponce de Leon, a 2010 graduate, who eventually played in July of 2018 for the St. Louis Cardinals. Jones mades his debut against the Miami Marlins at Loandepot Park on Saturday, March 30, 2024 and struck out 10 batters in 5 2/3 innings.

He was the starting pitcher for the Home Opener in Pittsburgh to a sold-out crowd. Although Jones earned his first career loss versus the Baltimore Orioles, Jones made history. He has now tied Shohei Ohtani for the most swings and misses through 2 career starts.

Jones makes his next start at Citizens Bank Park versus the Philadelphia Phillies on Thursday, April 11.