Upcoming Events
  • Academic Signing Day moved to Friday, May 24
The Student News Site of La Mirada High School

El Toro

El Toro

El Toro

Crepes & Grapes

Boys Water Polo Wins First Tournament in School History

Senior Ignacio Olivares looks to pass the ball during a recent game at Splash.

The Boys Varsity Water Polo team heads into their 18th game of the 2023 season led by Head Coach AJ Helwani, a La Mirada alum. Senior Top Wing and Post, Robert Rayfield explained, the strength and enjoyment of water polo were, “The amount of companionship with my team and just being able to have fun with all these guys are really nice.” These strengths of water polo are what makes it such a great team, but it does come with its own challenges. According to Rayfield, one of the major weaknesses are, “The amount of anger you get from that because when you’re in a pool and trying to score a goal and there’s just this guy constantly pushing you and grabbing you it just gets really really annoying so it’s just kind of like everybody get like kind of angry during the game and it kind of fuels like our want to win so I think it’s a negative but it’s also a positive.” The team made school history with their first Tournament win last weekend in the Saddleback Water Polo Tournament. The team won against Godinez, Moreno Valley and Pioneer to make it to the Championship game versus Anaheim, where they won 10-9. The team opened up with Warren on Wednesday, October 4 and had a close game but lost 12-11. The team plays their next Gateway League game on Wednesday, October 11 versus Gahr at Cerritos Park East.